Pesantren Kesayangan ku

Pesantren Kesayangan ku
PONDOK PESANTREN BAITUL MAGHFIROH

IQRO

English Modal Verbs

English Modal Verbs
Reference Sheet

English Modal Verbs

  • can
  • could
  • may
  • might
  • shall
  • should
  • will
  • would

Modal Verb Posotions

  • Modal verb + base form = will eat
  • Modal verb + be = present participle = will be eating
  • Modal verb + have + past participle = will have eaten
  • Modal verb + be + past participle will be eaten
  • Modal verb + have + been + present participle + will have been eating
  • Modal verb + have + been + past participle = will have been eaten

Modal Verb Positions

  • can - ability, permission, possibility, request
  • could - ability, permission, possibility, request, suggestion
  • may - permission, probality , request
  • might - possibility, probality, suggestion
  • shall - decision, necessity, obligation, prohibition
  • should - advice, necessity, prediction, recommendation
  • will - decision, future, intention, offer, prediktion, promise, suggestion
  • would - conditional, habit, invitation, permission, preference, request, question, suggestion

English Model Verbs
defintions Reference Sheet

1. Exprences ability
I can ride a bike. ( Having the power, ability, or capacity, I am able to ride a bike.)

2. Expresses permission

He can fly in a borrow my car. (He has permission to borrow my car.)

3. Expresses possibility

You can fly in a balloon with hot air. (flying in a balloo is possible with hot air.)

4. Expresses contingency

if the committee can provide the food, then I will provide the drinks. (My providing
the drinks is contingent on the committee providing the food.)

5. Expresses request

Can you pass me the salt ? (I am requesting that you pass me the salt.)

Could


1. Expresses ability, specifically past ability

My grandfather could fly a place. (My grandfather used to be able to fly a place.)

2. Expreses permission

She could have taken the car. ( It wat permissible for her to taken the car.)

3. Expresses suggestions

You cauld borrow my sweater. (I am suggesting that you borrow my swater.)

4. Expresses possibility and to a lesser extent probality

The child could not have gotten far. (it is not possible for the child to have gotten far.)
The entire building could explode. (it is probable that the entire building will explode.)

5. Expresses requests

could you shut the door? (I am requesting that you shut the door.)

May

1. Expresses possibility

The bread may not turn out right. (It is a possibility that the bread willnot turn out right.)

2. expresses probality

the patient likely mai never walk again. (it is probable that the patien will never walk again.)

3. Expresses permision and requests for permission

May I borrow your computer ? ( Do I have permission to borrow your computer?)

Might

1. Expresses possibility

You might get hurt. (I is possible for you to get hurt.)

2. Expresses sugestions

You might add raisins to the cookies. (It is suggested that you add raisins to the cookies.)

3. Expressses commands

You might be more polite to customers. (It is commanded that you be more polite to
custumers.)

Must

1. Expresses obligation

You must donate mney to attend. (It is obligated that you donate money to attend.)

2. Expresses necessity

You must have a license to kill. (It is naceeasry for you to have a license to kill.)

3. Expresses commands including prohibitions, demands, suggestionas, and permissions

Students must never enter the third floor. (It is prohibited for students to enter the third
floor.)

4. Expresses deduktions of certainty

A loose fan belt must be the problem. (It is deduced that a loose fan belt is the problem.)

2. Expresses suggestion and offers

Shall we go for ice crem? (I suggest we go for ice cream.)

3. Expresses commands including obligation, prohibitions, and theats

Students shall not drink. (Students are prohibited from driking.)

Should

1. Expresses advisability including suggestions and recommaendations

They should take interstate. (It is advised that they take the interstate.)

2. Expresses necessity ad, to a lesser extent, obligation

Peple with egg allergies should avoid omelets. (It is necessary that people with egg allergies avoid omelets.

3. Expresses predictions and deduktions

Espen should be in chicago by now. (It is Predicted tha espen is in Chicago Now.)

Wiil

1. Expresses futurity incuding decisions, prediktions, intentions, and promies

The train will arrive at noon tomorrow. (The train arrives in the future at noontomorrow.)

2. Expresses commands

You will be nice to your little brother . (I commad you to be nice to your litter brother.)

3. Expreses suggestions

You will want to visit the museum. (It is suggested that you visit the meseum.)

4. Expreses offers

I will pick up the pie for you. (I offer to pick up the pie for you.)

5. Expresses requests

Will you open the window ? (It is requested that you open the windouw.)

Would

1. Expresse conditionality and contingency

If I were president, I would spend more on education. (My being president is the condition
necesary for my spending more on education.)

2. Expresses futurity including decisions, predictions, intentions,and promises within past tense
constructions

He said he would help tomorrow . (He said, "I will help tomorow.")

3. Expresses desires and preferences

I would like some sweat tea. (I desire some swat tea.)

4. Expresses suggestions

She would want to cook the sweet potatoes first. (It is suggested that she cook the sweat
potatoes first.)

5. Expresses offers

He would take your weekend shift. (He offers to take yor weekend shift.)

6. Express requests and commands

would you please pick up desser? (I am requesting that you pick up dessert.)

7. Eexpresses habituality, specifically past habituality

He would always whine about everyting. (he used to alwaiys whine about everyting.)





Artikel Terkait



0 komentar:

geo fles